Tuesday, June 14, 2016

..:To Hmong Chicken Diet or Not:..

There are so many things to do to get ready for Julian's arrival. I've done a good amount of them already...
But we still have to do the following:
-sterilize and dry all breastfeeding pumps parts and bottles
-wash and install the infant car seat
-hook up the camera
-set up the bassinet and infant rocker

My hospital bag is packed though!


Now onto the BIG question as a Hmong woman; Am I going to do the traditional Hmong Chicken diet?


I have heard so many arguments about why to do it and why not to do it. Some Hmong women say that it's just a way to hold Hmong women down and of course there wasn't much to eat back then. Others argue that it helps with old age and good health. Whatever it is that you believe... the idea is to eat healthy, stay away from junk food and to simply just take care of your body.

Here's a good blog to read more about the Hmong Chicken Diet:

Hmong postpartum care

https://ahmongwoman.com/2012/03/10/hmong-postpartum-care/
Lemon Grass Herb
The 6 other herbs that goes into the soup. It's impossible to find the names of these herbs. I did the research and found nothing. Luckily, a close friend of mine was able to send me the actualy plant, so now I have an abundant of them!

A Meal I had PP after I had Emma
When I had Emma, I did my own version of this Hmong Chicken Diet. I incorporated fruits and vegetables to each meal and cut down on the rice. I had about 1-2 cups of cooked rice. I did  to stay away from processed junk for the first month and ate hot to warm food all the time. I did this because I knew I had to eat nutritious meals in order produce milk and stay healthy for my Emma and myself.


With this second pregnancy, I am going to do the same type of meals that I had before. I'll have a herb chicken soup along with a side of vegetable and fruit. I'll still have 1-2 cups of cooked rice daily and drink warm-hot water (which is easy because I don't like cold water anyways).

Let's do this again!
Did I wrap my stomach?

I did use a stomach wrap, not the traditional Hmong wrap. I used a breathable valcor one that the hospital gave me for the first month and then used the Cinch for the next 2 months. I know it helped and I will continue to do the same after having Julian. I know people who didn't wrap their tummy and totally regretted not doing so. Hopefully with much rest, healthy meals and nursing; I'm excited and ready to bounce back!




No comments:

Post a Comment