Saturday, December 11, 2010

Snowed In Reflections

I am loving loving this weekend so far. I love love love being snowed in. Perhaps it's because it's my last weekend of classes and they have been canceled. Maybe it's because I get extra time to spend with Duong too. Tonight for dinner, we are making Banh Cuon again! I can't get enough of them.


Recently I have been super motivated to workout and diet religiously. Reason #1: I consumed thousands of calories over Thanksgiving break and didn't make it to work out at all that weekend. On average, people gain a few pounds over the holidays and never loose it, so it accumulates over time. Reason #2: I bought a sexy dress for New Years and want to look smoking hot in it! Duong and I will be spending New Years again with Philly friends on the East Coast. I am looking forward to that very much! Reason #3: And of course I just want to be healthy on the inside and outside.

About a month be ago, a college friend befriended me on Facebook and asked me "what is your secret because you have lost sooo much weight." I was annoyed by it for a number of reasons (of course I didn't show it at the time). One, I was not fat in college or ever been fat in my life. I have always been within my BMI. Secondly, there is no secret! I know I am thinner than I was before and that is because I am more aware of what I am putting into my body. I do drink less and eat less than I did before. That is the secret to the NO secret! A balanced diet and regular exercise.

I get comments like "you have time." I have just 24 hours a day just like anyone else. I just choose to use an hour a day to spend at the gym. "Duong goes to the gym, so you have a partner." I would still go to the gym even if he doesn't go. I did have a gym membership before he came along. "I don't have money." I look at it as it's one of the best ways to use my money; by keeping me healthy. Come on, how much money do you spend on "entertainment, clothes or who knows what." "It's too hard..." or "I just can't.." If you continue to tell yourself, you can't then you start to believe it. It's gotta start inside of you. Tell yourself, "I can and I want to." 

I want to live the BEST life I possibly can. 

"The key question to keep asking is, Are you spending your time on the right things? Because time is all you have. "
Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture)

No comments:

Post a Comment